History of Ysleta del Sur Pueblo
Travel Down the Mission Trail
Scholars' Bookshelf
Missions Bibliography
Ysleta Bibliography
Roster of El Paso Area Tribal Leaders
Native American Water Use Chronology
Tigua Military History
Hueco Tanks Battle  
Tigua Scouts  
Last Apache Battles in Texas  
Tigua Scouts as Texas Rangers  
Texas Ranger Station at Ysleta
Tigua Contributions  
Texas Ranger Commander  
Early Accounts & Bibliography
Tigua Participation at Texas State Fair
Travel Links & More
Ysleta Land Grant Chronology
Acknowledgments / Resources
Texas Ranger Station at Ysleta

A History of the Texas Ranger Station at Ysleta

From the 1879 to the early 1900’s, Ysleta frequently was the regional post of the Texas Rangers. Captain George Wythe Baylor commanded the Texas Ranger post of Company A, Frontier Battalion (1879 to 1885) (Texas State Library and Archives, Baylor Post Returns, Ysleta, 1881-1885). He replaced Lieutenant John Tays, who had been in charge of Company C of the Frontier Battalion (Texas State Library and Archives, Discharge Roll for 1877-78).

In Ysleta, the Baylor home and several nearby adobe structures served as the office and barracks. The stately adobe with thick adobe walls faced Zaragosa Road near the Harris Street intersection. Often, it was the scene of social events in which George Baylor served as host and played his fiddle. Tigua Indians built the home, which was located within the old pueblo, just south of Old Pueblo Road. In 1893, Captain Frank M. Jones lived in the adobe for several months until his death in June of that year (El Paso Evening Tribune, June 30, 1893:1:1). In 1936, it was the residence of Mrs. Margaret Clark (El Paso Herald, Sept. 23, 1936, 12:1). Later, Miguel Pedraza inherited the property. In the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, it was the regional office for the Texas Indian Commission. Around 1974, the old building was demolished and replaced by a post office.

In 1881, and in subsequent years, the Adjutant General of the State of Texas contemplated moving the rangers from Ysleta to other locations in West Texas. In that year, the people of the El Paso area petitioned to have the force maintained in Ysleta or at least in the El Paso region (Lone Star, Oct. 12, 1881:3:3; Nov. 16, 1881:2:3; Feb. 11, 1882:3:2). In 1882, the post was moved from Ysleta to El Paso and then back to Ysleta (Baylor to Jones, May 8, 1882, Correspondence of the Office of Adjutant General; from: Texas State Library and Archives).

In 1883, it was reported that Baylor’s ranger force at Ysleta “…is to have command of the line below Toyah” (El Paso Herald, Sept. 1-2,1883 from: “40 Years Ago”, Sept. 1-2, 1923:14:4). In that year, the Ysleta post was temporarily relocated to Toyah and later back to Ysleta (Lone Star, July 18, 1883:3). In August, 1883, the local newspaper reported that the adjutant general ordered Captain Baylor to relocate his headquarters from Ysleta to Carrizo Springs, leaving only four men at the county seat (Ysleta) (Lone Star, Aug. 22,1883:3:1).

In 1885, the year of Baylor’s retirement, it was reported that Company A would be disbanded (El Paso Times, April 19, 1885:4:A). In that year the post was transferred from Ysleta to Marfa. In 1893, when Captain Frank Jones commanded the post at Ysleta, it was temporarily moved to Marathon to the dismay of El Pasoans (El Paso Evening Tribune, May 31, 1893, page 8). In June of that year, the Rangers returned to Ysleta (El Paso Evening Tribune, June 23, 1893:8). The newspaper proudly proclaimed, “Capt. Jones with a detachment of nine Rangers arrived at Ysleta, and are now occupying the old Ranger quarters occupied by Col. Baylor and his command years ago” (El Paso Herald, June 23, 1893, 4).

In that year, a petition from the citizens of Ysleta was submitted to the Adjutant General of the State of Texas requested that John R. Hughes of Company D, Frontier Battalion replace the position of the late Frank Jones. Forty-two male citizens, including J.M. Duran (José María Durán, tribal leader and father of Aniceto, a Tigua scout) signed the document (Shipman Papers, #94, El Paso Public Library Archives: Frontier Battalion Misc. Papers, Sept.-Dec., 1893).

"San Isleta, June 9, 1862"
Sketch by A.B. Peticolas
This is the earliest known image of Ysleta Mission and Pueblo (right). Two soldiers (center) are on patrol (Franklin Mountains is background).
During his 1901 visit to Ysleta del Sur, J.W. Fewkes, American
ethnologist, was told that, on several occasions during Apache
raids, Tigua warriors escorted the women and children to safety
in the Ysleta Mission, which was well defended.
Courtesy of  the Arizona Pioneer Historical Society

In 1909, the Ysleta Ranger Company was transferred to Armarillo, while the Armarillo Company was sent to Ysleta (El Paso Herald, Oct. 30, 1909, 2; Nov. 15, 1909, 9:3; Nov. 19, 1909:2). In 1910, the Ysleta post (Company B) was relocated to Marfa (El Paso Herald, June 20, 1910:9). Later, Company D under command of Capt. John R. Hughes was stationed at Ysleta and Marathon (El Paso Herald, July 8, 1910, page 5, col. 4). In October of that year, the ranger post, commanded by Hughes, was relocated from Amarillo to Ysleta (El Paso Herald, Oct. 4, 1910:3:1).